Friday, October 22, 2010

Dancing Around the Subject

It happened. I found myself at a real crossroads. One morning after walking with a friend, I thought with complete and utter dread about a meeting I had planned to attend. That’s not like me. I thought more about the meeting and asked my friend if she was attending. When she told me, “No, I never attend those meetings,” I was shocked. I sort of thought it was mommy mandatory. As silly as it sounds, I didn’t know I had an option.

I began to assess the situation. I didn’t want to volunteer to be in charge of anything. If I didn’t go to this meeting, I couldn’t be asked to be in charge of anything or feel compelled to raise may hand to volunteer again, as I had done so many times before. I was starting to get the picture and found myself searching for a way to give myself permission not to go.

I thought about my calendar. To attend this meeting, I would have to miss my tap class. I clearly cannot be two places at once. I had just started back with my tapping and had recently met a number of new and wonderful ladies tapping and laughing and having a grand time. My heart and my feet longed for the tap class.

Was I just being selfish? Is it okay to do something I wanted to do instead of something I felt obligated to do? This was unchartered territory for me.

I began to reflect and those words I had heard so many times before came flooding through my mind. “You are a selfish girl! The world doesn’t revolve around you.” I felt myself let out an audible sigh. Maybe it was selfish to do something that made me feel alive and exhilarated instead of sitting in a meeting and hearing the same tried and true message, albeit important. It was certainly more noble and selfless to give my time to an organization dedicated to children, but I just didn’t have it in me.

Instantly 10 imaginary hoops appeared before my eyes and I envisioned myself jumping through hoop after hoop. Over and over again, I was reaching and stretching and doing and then, all of a sudden, I couldn’t even remember what I was working toward. I was completely burned out. I couldn’t raise my hand for one more thing. I was officially done.

Feeling like much less of a person than a few minutes earlier, I tried to validate my belief that I am NOT a selfish person. I am a person who love, love, loves children. I adore seniors. I appreciate their lined faces, their stories, their lessons to share. I think back to that little bunny that just hopped across the bike path during my walk and smile. I even love the little woodland creatures. And just like that, it hit me.




I am a middle-aged
Disney Princess
in TAP SHOES!



The visual made me laugh out loud. I could just see myself in some fabulous ball gown, hair in tendrils flowing down my back. A little bird perched upon my finger as I break out into song and dance. I was laughing, and it felt great! I laughed right past the guilt, obligation and sense of duty. I gave myself permission to be ME again, whoever that girl is today. I’m sort of still looking for her.

It’s easy to lose yourself in the things that you do. It’s extremely hard for me to tell someone, “No, I can’t help.” As much as I’ve been told how selfish I am, it’s really not in my nature not to help. I’m grateful to all those friends (Amy, Cheryl, Charlie, Martha, Sherry, Kendra, etc.) who have reassured me that I haven’t a selfish bone in my body. 

For me, this “picking and choosing” where and what I do has been liberating. No longer am I weighed down and burdened. I’m finding time to enjoy the little things. I can notice them now. I SEE them. I don’t want to ever go back to the over-committed, consumed, over-achiever, “what am I trying to prove?” person that I once was. What I want, is to use my gifts where they can help the most. Spreading myself too thin didn’t help anyone. I’m living and laughing and dancing every chance I get. Won’t you join me?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is completely true (not the selfish part) You need to want to do things YOU are into :)

GRACEN OWENS

Anonymous said...

You make me so proud.... I think it is wonderful that you have discovered that time spent doing something you simply love is not only acceptable and unselfish; but also rewarding. Love you.
Mother

Unknown said...

Think of what the flight attendants say. They tell us that in the event of an emergency and the oxygen masks drop, we are to put our mask on first and then help secure the mask on another person. I always thought to myself, "No way. I'm making sure I get those masks on my kids before I put one on my face." Then it hit me. If I don't put my mask on first I could pass out or something before I finish helping my kids. You have to take care of your needs so you CAN take care of others. It doesn't make you selfish. It keeps you going. Tap on sister. You are fabulous.

Tanni said...

Tara---there is freedom in learning to say no and chosing to say yes---when it is something that is important. Life is all about the dance and enjoying the little things God offers us everyday. I am proud of you! :)

Tann said...

I love this Tara~you should publish your wonderful recipes along with your witty blog! My favorite (and I will probably have to steal this profound statement from you):
"I gave myself permission to be ME again, whoever that girl is today. I’m sort of still looking for her".
You can certainly add my name to the list who absolutely does NOT feel you have a selfish bone in your body! You are a very loving, giving and gracious Southern princess ;-D Love, Miss T