Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Green Drink

I have this friend, Laurie, who has been carrying around a mason jar with some funky looking liquid in it, drinking it. No, not moonshine. I finally asked her about it and I learned all about juicing and how the enzymes in raw vegetables (preferably green ones) have super anti-oxidant properties, plus a whole lot more. Now don't get me wrong. I was still VERY skeptical, but I am adventurous so I decided that I would let Laurie make me a "green drink".



She kept telling me, "It's really not that bad."

It wasn't bad at all. It was sort of strangely refreshing. Before I went down to Macy's and spent a small fortune on a tremendously FABULOUS Breville Juicer, I thought I had better have Laurie make me a few more green drinks. So I carried all my vegetables down to Laurie’s and she made me my own little mason jars full of green drinks. I started sipping and before I knew it, I was not hungry. I was very satisfied. I had energy. I just felt great! It had to be the green drinks, right?

Well, I went to Macy's and bought a fancy-shmancy juicer and a new high powered blender to boot. You never know when you're going to need to whip up a good frozen margarita. I stocked up on the best organic green vegetables that HEB had to offer and I was in business. I found that the "green lemonade" recipe and my many variations of it make the best concoctions.



Here's my recipe:

1 lemon (no need to peel, just juice the whole little yellow enzyme machine)
1 apple (2 if they are itsy bitsy apples)
2 stalks of celery
2 carrots
1 bunch of cilantro
1 head of Romaine lettuce
1 large cucumber (sometimes 2 if I'm feeling froggy)


Okay, here's the key. You don't want to drink your green drink from a Mason jar. No offense, Laurie, but presentation is extremely important when you're talking about drinking seriously GREEN liquid. So, I highly recommend drinking it from a footed crystal iced beverage glass with a straw, of course! If you ever want to give Green Drinks a go, just pop over around 10 AM and I'll whirl one out for you! Yes, I really drink these!

2 comments:

Tanni said...

Hey Tara!

I just found your blog off a blog list. Crazy! I hope all is well with you. I may need one of these green drinks.

Blessings,
Tanni

Anonymous said...

Tara,

The presentation portion cracked me up! Love reading your blog--lots of fun. =)

God Bless,
Lisa